Ausangate Trekking 5 Days
Although not popular as the Inca Trail, the Ausangate trek is a stunning hike through the wilderness and rarely visited areas in Peru.
Traversing the Cordillera Vilcanota, the trek takes hikers over several high passes, down into low alpine valleys and through traditional Peruvian villages. You’ll see snow capped peaks, herds of llamas, glaciers and turquoise lakes, all set within an incredibly beautiful mountain range. You will also get the chance to see the Rainbow Mountain of Vinicunca!
Of all the alternatives treks to the famous Inca Trail, the remote Ausangate Trek is the highest and probably the toughest one. In terms of natural beauty, it is possibly the most rewarding.
- Quick View
- Package / Tour: Aunsangate Trek 5D/4N
- Price 2019: USD$ 380.00
- Locations Visited: Aunsangate Trek 5D/4N
- Frequency: 3 Times of week
- Physical Grading: 1-2-3-4-5
- 2 People: 600 USD$ (Per Person)
- 3 People: 500 USD$ (Per Person)
- 4 People: 380 USD$ (Per Person)
- 5-6 People: 350 USD$ (Per Person)
- 7-8+ People: 300 USD$ (Per Person)
Day 1: Cusco - Tinki - Upis
We leave at 5:00 am from Cusco in private bus, taking the road that goes to Puerto Maldonado. After 6 hours driving we arrive to Tinki at 3800 m asl. On the way from Cusco to Tinki we pass through many agricultural areas and beautifull landscapes.
From Tinki we start walking for 5 hours to Upis where we will have our first camp at 4200 masl.
Day 2: Upis To Jatun Pucaqocha
After an early breakfast will leave Upis and ascend for two hours to reach the La Arapa pass (4850 masl). On the trek we pass through areas with many vizcachas (relatives of the rabbits) also the view of the Ausangate is very impressive from the top, as we descend we see the beautifull lakes with green or turquoise colors. We wil set up the camp close the lake Jatun Pucaqocha (big red lake).
Day 3: Jatun Pucaqocha To Uchuy Finaya
On this day we will pass over two passes, the second pass of Apuchata in 4900m asl. And right after that the third pass the Palomani pass at 5200masl. Finally arriving to Uchuy Finaya where we will camp. Also from here the view is very spectacular because we can see the back side of the Ausangate mountain, also on the way we see many Alpaca herds.
Day 4: Huchuy Finaya To Pacchanta
On this day we have the fourth pass the Q´ampa pass 5000 m asl. The possibilities to observe vicunas are very good on this day, also for people who would like to see birds on the lakes or flying, eg. Crested Duck, Ground Tyrants and Puna Hawks.
The Viscachas are very common close to Pacchanta, place of the hot spring and camp.
Day 5: Pacchanta - Tinki - Cusco
After an early breakfast ,we leave Pacchanta towards Tinki, which will take us approximately 2 hours. From Tinki we take our private bus back to Cusco city, arriving in the afternoon.
- Pre-departure briefing at Hostel or Office *Give us details of the place you are going to stay in cusco please.
- Professional Spanish and English speaking ausangate trek tour guide
- Collection from your Hostel (we pick you up where you are staying from) from 6:00 to 6:30 am
- Private Transportation Van Cusco to Tinqui ( trailhead)
- Entrance fee to Ausangate park
- Food: *4 breakfasts,4 lunches, 4 dinner afternoon snacks (hot drinks, biscuits and popcorn) and 4 dinners
- 4 seasons HIGH QUALITY PROPER MOUNTAIN TENT (Best Mountain Hardwear & kayla Doite Tents ) (We use only the finest quality aluminum tent poles) 4 man tent for 2-people so there will be plenty of space to set up your backpacks
- Camping equipment (tent for the staff, cooking and eating tents. portable chairs and tables)
- THERM-A-REST self-inflating air Sleeping mattresses ( a whole new way to sleep in comfort.)
- Cook who is in charge of making the food, Horsemen , mules or porters (they carry cooking stuff and camping equipment ) plus 7 kilos for your personal belongings.
- 1 emergency horse to ride every 3 persons – days 1 to 2
- Health Insurance for our porters, cooks, guides, field crew and PALOTOA AMAZON TRAVEL staff
- Wake up coca tea each morning in your tent for a gentle start
- PALOTOA AMAZON TRAVEL Free duffel bag for your personal stuff
- Oxygen balloon for any emergency
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes
- Boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead
- Single Tents and vegetarian meals available upon request with no extra cost
- Free “I survived ” T-shirt and certificate (only for PEOPLE who successfully complete the trek!!)
- Transfer train or bus station-Hostel in Cusco
- First Aid kit for Emergencies.
- Free Luggage storage. When you go on the trek it is best to leave any luggage that you are not going to need behind in Cusco.
Nearly all the hotels in Cusco provide a secure luggage deposit. Put any valuables in their safe. Very rarely do hotels charge for this service especially if you are returning to the same hotel after the trek. If there are any problems with your hotel we can arrange to store your luggage at our Palotoa Amazon Travel office.
- Original passport and copies (and Student card (ISIC) green card if you are student ). Note ( you have to bring your student card to Ausangate park because you are going to be required to show at the Machupicchu control point
- Travel Insurance card is essential
- Sleeping bag (not included)
- hiking water proof boots (with ankle protectors )
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Sun hat and gloves
- T-shirts / shirts
- Comfortable hiking zip off trousers
- Rain pants
- Bathing suit (for hot springs in Santa Teresa and Aguas Calientes)
- Sun protection cream ( factor 35 recommended ) sun is strong
- Insect Repellent ( for mosquitos )15 % of deet at least
- Water bottle.
- Water purifying tablets (Micropur recommended)
- Toilet paper and wet wipes
- Personal medication
- Camera and films
- Torch with spare batteries (flashlight) we recommend headlights
- Extra contribution suggested in soles money for tipping horseman, cook and guide. and for any emergency.